|Disclosure: Just to be open and honest the buttons and links you click on in the website will in most cases take you to another website where you can purchase the products I am reviewing. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.|
Redington Path II vs. Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo
Here, the thirst for fish is unquenchable.
Not even with the best fly fishing outfit that money can get.
You must be loving the waters as we do in this part of the world.
It is for this reason that we find interest in sampling fishing gear and equipment. New or old, we love them equally.
Red hot like burning charcoal balls, Redington brings us the phenomenal Redington Path II Outfit Fly Fishing Combo.
It is unbowed when it comes to fish fights.
This review has it together with the Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo from the legends.
Later, towards the end, you will decide on the fly fishing combo that makes your heart beat harder.
Almost three decades since its formation, Redington strives to sensitize fly fishing through innovation of performance-driven fly fishing gear, equipment, and apparel at a tremendous worth to fishermen and women all over.
Their products aren’t bank-breaking but the resultant value is what makes anglers worldwide swear by this brand.
Besides the Path II fly fishing outfit, the award-winning Redington avails the Crosswater, Vice, Youth Minnow, and Topo Combos.
Strategically surrounded by some of the eclectic fishing resources like the Pacific, gear testing is intense and a mandatory procedure before launch.
As your fishing desires burn unstoppably, Redington’s ambitions to ensure that you make the very best out of your time actualizes through high-grade gear.
The online buzz about Orvis’s new release for this year is adrenaline-charged. Almost everyone wants to try out the Clearwater Combo.
If you have tried any fly fishing gear from the Mighty Orvis, there is no doubt that your expectations for this baby are top of the ladder.
Orvis exceeds them.
1856! Whoa! One and a half centuries down the line, the legendary brand still stands stronger.
It boasts of some of the world’s finest angling tackle, customer distinctive apparel, and crowns it with an exemplary customer after-service team.
The family-owned business has been under different leaderships.
All not rosy but it has survived the test of time and still features on the crème list of fly fishing brands worldwide.
Please leak us a few tips and hints on this longevity Orvis. Thanks in advance.
We don’t do comparison reviews to give product rankings.
We let the anglers and readers determine what will do and what will save a rainy day.
Our primary goal for these types of reviews is to accentuate the brand difference, different aspects in product construction, combination, package contents, product features, the good, bad, and thoughts.
Share with us your experiences on either or both the fly fishing combos in the comment section.
Browse below to see what we gathered:
Quick Post Navigation
- Redington Path II Outfit Fly Fishing Combo Review
- Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo Review
- Similarities of the Redington Path II Outfit Fly Fishing Combo and Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo
- Differences between the Redington Path II Outfit Fly Fishing Combo and Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo
- Final Verdict
Redington Path II Outfit Fly Fishing Combo Review
Like a mother does to an infant, so does Redington to novices through the Redington Path II Outfit Fly Fishing Outfit.
Novices feel ridiculed especially if walking alone in this journey.
Little to no help, awkward guesses, and too many unanswered queries about the best fly fishing gear.
We are appreciative of Redington for putting together an excellent starter pack.
Limitless as it is, you can jump from a small trout chase to a trophy fish battle at your convenience.
We have a full review of the same here on our site. Check it out!
What does the Path II Combo look like?
Redington holds your hand until you are steady.
The Path II Combo consists of a Path Fly Rod, a pre-rigged Crosswater Fly Reel, a RIO Mainstream weight-forward fly line or the RIO saltwater floating-line for 8 and 9 weight rods, a Cordura rod tube, a lifetime warranty on the rod and a 1-year warranty on the fly reel.
Unlike other brands that have every gear from their company, Redington invites RIO to bring in their lines.
The award-winning RIO Products have lines with stellar performance hence the huge recommendation.
Key Features of the Redington Path II Outfit Fly Fishing Combo
Striking an excellent blend between moderate and fast actions, it deserves more respect for its versatility.
Normally, novices need slower action rods. However, a good number is daring to jump on an all-water rod like the Path II.
As it helps you have a good mastery of timing and technique, it easily handles any waters breezily.
Feel free to use the lifetime warranty if need be.
Depending on the rod weight you choose, the reel seats differ.
Rods lesser than 6 weight have laser-etched wooden reel seats for function and aesthetics while the heavier ones are from anodized aluminum for function in any water.
You know what saline environs can do to metals.
The composite Crosswater reel comes also rigged with the RIO mainstream fly line and is ready to use straight from the box.
For a beginner who is still experimenting such reels are the most real deals.
They come at a reasonable price.
Spool changing is pretty easy and quick.
Built with an ultra-large arbor, the retrieval rates are top-notch and conversions from either side shouldn’t be daunting.
- REDINGTON FLY FISHING COMBOS: No matter where you find yourself casting a line, look no further than our fly fishing combos. Each combo is curated to your angling needs and ready to meet the demands of any fishery. Just add water.
- MEDIUM-FAST ACTION: The PATH rod is a smooth-casting, medium-fast action graphite fly rod, offering classic performance for all levels of anglers and suitable for both fresh and saltwater fishing.
- THOUGHT-OUT DETAILS: Rods through 6 weight have a half-wells handle with a wood reel seat for a classic look and feel, and 7 weights and above feature a full-wells grip with anodized aluminum reel seat that is ready for salt or fresh water conditions.
- PERFECT COMBO: The kit includes a PATH II rod, Crosswater reel pre-spooled with RIO mainstream WF fly line, and Cordura rod tube case. The 8 and 9 weight, saltwater application, available with RIO Saltwater Floating Line
- PORTABILITY: This fishing rod and reel combo model comes in 4 pieces, has alignment dots for easy setup, and a divided Cordura nylon tube for easy transport.
Applications of the Redington Path II Outfit Fly Fishing Combo
Usually, combos come in different weights.
Nonetheless, this one allows for use in different settings.
Heavier fly rod and reel combos of the Path II, from 8 to 9 weights, are ideal for saltwater use.
This doesn’t mean that you are refrained from trying them out in freshwater.
The other weights will function well in freshwater environs.
Pros – Things that shine on the Redington Path II Outfit
- Lifetime warranty on rod
- Comes with rod tube and reel cloth
- Pre-rigged reel with ultra-large arbor and disc-drag system
- Lightweight construction
Cons – Things that aren’t so cool!
- Though a bonus, the one year warranty on the fly reel is shorter.
- The rod action might be faster and unbearable for some beginners
Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo Review
Is Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo the same as the Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo?
Even the wording denies it. 2019 in the latter brings out a bold difference.
You can find a full review of the combo here.
Well, the Clearwater series from Orvis is fully-fledged from gear to equipment, and apparel.
We love it when Orvis makes new additions, product advancements, and redesigns.
They are actually better than their former versions.
At this point, I think it is rightful to say that the fly fishing production sector is dynamic and improving tremendously year by year.
There is more to its functionality and performance than the cosmetic uplift.
We are proud of their Vermont rod designers for making a total overhaul of it.
What is constant is the value.
Let not the wholesome package dwindle your hopes of owning one.
There is a significant upgrade in aesthetics and performance and until now, it crowns the comprehensive Clearwater series.
Every rod in the Clearwater combo has a profile built for purpose and action.
Depending on the model you choose, its traditional use remains intact.
They range from fast action rods for the big game to medium-fast action for freshwaters and medium action rods for small streams.
So, what’s in it?
Out of the box and yes! Fish it, buddy.
A ready package it is.
Orvis in this particular combo includes a 9ft 5wt Clearwater fly rod, a pre-rigged Clearwater fly reel, a tapered leader, Dacron backing, a divided rod tube, and a warranty.
Wholesome indeed. Right?
What you need is a package of courage, a few free hours, and your favorite fly to hook on and throw.
Key Features of the Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo
For the 4pc 5wt 9ft Clearwater fly rod, the medium action is superb if you aren’t looking for something slow or rather fast.
Somewhere moderate helps you learn to get balance, hone your skills, and prepare for the next level.
With time, it is easier to try out a combo with a medium-fast action.
The loading action is commendable and for distance, it is the bomb.
We can say it takes a five-star rating when it comes to aesthetics.
This is specific to the reel seat.
Away from the anodized aluminum or laser-etched wood.
The Clearwater rod has a Nickel aluminum seat. Its quality is top-notch, performance is outstanding and durability is nothing less than excellent.
Handles are easy to grab, comfy for long-hour use, smoother, and beautifully finished.
The majority of Orvis reels feature large arbors and this one doesn’t go contrary.
There is a tremendous increase in the retrieval rate and casting becomes easier with lesser reeling.
Luckily, for these types, you experience lesser to no line tangles.
The powerful Rulon to Stainless disc drag system with stacks is consistent.
- FULL CLEARWATER FLY ROD AND REEL COMBO includes Clearwater Large Arbor fly reel, Clearwater fly line, backing, leader, and rod/reel case
- BLACK CHROME BLANKS with white accents and quick rod identifier
- CHROME SNAKE AND STRIPPING GUIDE with a ceramic insert
- BEEFED UP FULL BLACK NICKEL ALUMINUM REEL SEATS to handle a variety of fishing grounds and big fish with fight
- READY-TO-FISH PACKAGES built around 5-WT 8-foot 6-inch, 5-WT 9-foot, 6-WT 9-foot rods with Size II Clearwater Large Arbor reels; and 8-WT 9-foot rod with Size IV Clearwater Large Arbor reel
Applications of the Orvis 2019 Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo
Another beginner combo that serves you with all the components you need for an interesting catch session, it is a must-have.
The action is ideal for starters.
So is the rod weight and length.
Environmental capabilities are limitless basing on the combo’s construction.
With proper care and maintenance, it should be your companion for many years.
Pros – Things that shine on the Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Outfit
- Exclusive package
- Comes with the Orvis 25-year guarantee
- Easy and ready to use
- More for reasonably less
- Durable combo construction
Cons – Things that aren’t so cool!
- Yet again, a few more months after its release and our last in-depth review, we are yet to deduce any drawbacks. Stick around. In case of any, we will make a review update.
Similarities of the Redington Path II Outfit Fly Fishing Combo and Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo
- Both are beginner-friendly packages
- Each of the two rods comes with a Cordura tube from the manufacturer for rod protection
- Rods are backed by company warranties
- The two reels come pre-rigged and ready to use
- Both reels come pre-programmed for the left-hand retrieve but can be converted to any side easily.
Differences between the Redington Path II Outfit Fly Fishing Combo and Orvis Clearwater Fly Fishing Combo
- It is easier to understand the variations in aspects of each of the combos once in a table. The coverage is general and precise.
|Aspect||Redington Path II||Orvis Clearwater|
|Content||Rod, Crosswater reel, Mainstream WFF fly line, Cordura tube||Rod, pre-rigged reel, a tapered leader, dacron backing, rod tube|
|Rod Action||Medium-fast action||Medium action|
|Reel Seat||Laser-etched wood||Nickle Aluminum|
|Arbor Size||Ultra Large||Large|
|Drag System||Disc Drag||Rulon to SS stack|
|Warranty||Lifetime rod 1 year reel||25 year|
|Reel Design||Composite||Die cast|
|Fly Line||Rio mainstream||Clearwater|
It is a fold for us at this point.
We toss the ball to you to decide which one best suits your needs and skills.
All of them are equally excellent fly fishing combos for the money.
You only need to know what rod and reel you are on the run for and voila!
As usual, feel free to share your sentiments with us down in the comment section and let us keep the fly fishing convo going.
Still undecided, check out our list of fly fishing outfits.
Happy shopping and happy fishing!
Last update on 2023-06-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.